Sunday 3 May 2015

May Day Yarn Daisy DIY

Happy Sunday Crafternoon...

May Bank Holiday Weekend is one of my favourite holidays, for one, I actually benefit from the day off bank holiday, two we always go to a great celebration with morris dancers and maypole dancing, and three, its when the lovely weather really starts to say hello!

So this year I decided to make a little accessory for Elsie to wear, I'm pretty certain it will end up on the floor, but at least it gives me a great chance for my first DIY!

(My model wasn't quite so willing, so teddy will have to do...)

This DIY is easy enough for little hands, just take care with the fork! You'll need the following supplies, you could use any colour yarn for the flowers, but I wanted daisies so stuck with simple yellow and white...

I used the A Beautiful Mess App to add the writing

First thing to do is make the flowers, wrap the yarn for the petals around the fork,making sure you start from between the middle prongs and finishing between the middle prongs...


Then take the colour yarn for the flower centre and tie it around the rows of yarn making sure you leave plenty of yarn at the end...


Carefully slip the flower from the end of the fork, then tie the yarn again, this time between the opposite petals to last time, spreading them out, this should make the petals look more like a daisy...


Flip it over, its should look like this... 


Continue making daisies until you have enough, trim any excess petal yarn off, but leave the yarn attached to the centre of the flower...


 Now its time to make the headband, using the head this is designed to fit, cut yourself lengths of yarn, twice the length you want your headband to be...


Fold them in half, and using the fork handle as a guide, knot it into a loop... 


Plait the remaining yarn, I used 12 strands, but you can use as many as you want...


Tie a knot at the end...


Your headband should now look like this... 


Time to position the flowers, use the remaining yarn from making the centres to feed them through the plaits...


Tie them off at the back and trim...


 Continue to fasten them all...


And you're done! feed the knot through your yarn loop and you're ready to go!!



I'd love to see your attempts at this, if you're an instagram user, use the hashtag #windupdaisy.

I think next year I may try using embroidery floss for a more delicate finish, and if I had one of those mini pom-pom makers I'd have used a combo of pom-poms and lots of daisies! The possibilities are endless...


Have Fun! 

Thanks for stopping by, 

Charlotte

1 comment: